Thursday, October 6, 2011

How would pro athletes feel if the money crunch hit them??

Money - that is what makes the world go around! At least that is what 99% of the professional athletes think. How much more money can I make? How can I become the highest paid athlete in my profession, or my position, or my league????

Since the economy fell off the planet several years ago, average Joe has found it hard to not only get by, but to have a job at all. Many of the jobs available today pay minimum salaries. Could Kobe or Sabathia get by on $7 0r $8 dollars an hour doing WORK?? Yeah, I don't think so either. They PLAY a game for absurd amounts of money and they all seem to only want more and more and more as the franchises and leagues (not to mention the poor slob of a fan) suffer through strikes and lockouts!

I don't mind mentioning that I grew up in the 50's and 60's where the professional ball players made great money, but most played for the love of the sport and not how much money they could make! Al Kaline, first ballot hall of fame outfielder for the Detroit Tigers once during his negotiations asked for less money for the following year because he felt he just went through an off year and did not deserve more money. When is the last time you heard a pro athlete say something like that???

I cannot tell you how freaking crazy I get when I hear stats like the following (based on Alex Rodriquez's 2011 season)

Salary - $27,500,000
Per game - $277,778
Per at bat - $73,727
Per hit - $266,990
Per RBI - $443,548
Per HR - $1,718, 750

Can you tell me it is worth that much to the DAMN Yankees to have a fellow earn $1.7 Million per home run? NO WONDER TEAMS AND LEAGUES ARE GOING BROKE.

OK, I get it that these players are also "entertainers", but $1 Million should be top money for any athlete, any sport!! If they want more money, do it by selling ads to corporate America, World etc!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment